Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Words

I love love love to read. I was cruising through books when I was working because I read on the train to and from work, plus would whip out my book at lunch in Millennium Park on nice days. I have not kept up that pace lately, but I am always on the lookout for a good read, so I thought I'd share what I've read most recently in hopes that I'd get some feedback on potential ones to add to my collection.




A Wolf At The Table - Augusten Burroughs. Similar to David Sedaris writings, but not as good. I like his humorous take on random things in his other novels, but this book deals with this tumultuous relationship with his father, so it's intense.

Slam - Nick Hornby. I've read four of his other books (High Fidelity, Fever Pitch, About A Boy, How To Be Good) so I like his wit and compassion, but I was not prepared for the young adult aspect of this novel. Regardless it's a sensitive story of teen pregnancy that turns out to be pretty good.

I Was Told There Would Be Cake - Sloane Crosley. Short stories that are clever, entertaining, and this 20something NY author pulls off a great "mean" funny.

Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates. My mom gave me this book for Christmas, the one that is tied in to the Kate Winslet movie. I thought it was a sad, disturbing story that was well written, but I will not see the movie.

Possible Side Effects - Augusten Burroughs. A collection of short stories that are amusing and weird and twisted, which is right up my alley.

The Time Travelers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger. Oh I fought this one because I envisioned this novel being an over the top sappy love story, but it's really not and very very good. It is unique, captivating, and a different read from anything I've ever read before. Keep with it even though it might start out confusing - it's worth it.

When You Are Engulfed In Flames - David Sedaris. I love all his stuff including this one. Hilarious.

A Spot of Bother - Mark Haddon. A story of a British family on the brink of craziness. I liked the authors first novel about an autistic boy, but this one is quite different, but good nonetheless.


1 comment:

Dear Dad said...

...from your book mailings, I've read so far -cake, -time traveler, and almost done with -side effects (then I have rev. road left). Great selections! We'll have a book club discussion in July sometime before or after the golf tournament.

Remembering Our Keela

Remembering Our Keela