Tuesday, September 7, 2010

We Hate Cancer

So yeah, Eric and I are running the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. to raise money for the specific type of cancer Eric had last year.  I started talking about this idea last year when Eric was recovering, and we were both eager to give back.  It would be a good way to help his lungs recover from losing that extra sac, and I wanted to run a marathon some day in my lifetime.  We are now only a mere 7 weeks and 4 days away.  Yikes.

Eric ran the NYC marathon when we first started dating, so he had one under his belt already.  I decided since I was not a consistent runner, to lengthen my training schedule to 30 weeks from the standard 18.  So I've been preparing since April.  We both have been plugging along, and this past week we hit a bump in the road.  Eric plays in a soccer league and he collided with another player and screwed up his shoulder.  He did not break anything but has a deep bruise on his clavicle.  I hammered out 15 miles last Friday, with no pain but the general soreness from running that long, and the next day my knee was swollen up like a grapefruit.  What the h-e-double-hockey sticks...

This is the not so fun part of running, but small potatoes to what people go through when dealing with a cancer diagnosis.  Weirdly I think about that when running.  I think about my sister in law's dad dealing with his surgeries.  I think about one of my best friend's mother dealing with her chemo.  I think about Eric's sister in law's dad living with his cancer.  I think about my family members and my little buddy Keela that have passed from cancer.....There are so many people out there that deal with cancer 24/7, and sadly it seems as we get older, we know more and more people it affects.  But that is why we are running.  Trying to do our part and help out just a bit.

Eric's Fundraising Page:
http://www.firstgiving.com/ericdoust

Emily's Fundraising Page:
http://www.firstgiving.com/emilymorrison

We graciously appreciate any donation to help this study of carcinoid cancer.  Eric was extremely lucky that surgery took care of the tumor and it did not spread, but not everyone with carcinoid cancer is that lucky.  We thank you for your support and generosity. 



(View from his room May 09)



I have gotten into the habit of running a route that goes by Eric's hospital.  I tip my visor to the nurses, doctors, and researchers that work there, thanking them in my own little way for taking care of the love of my life.


- Emily

No comments:

Remembering Our Keela

Remembering Our Keela