So this past weekend, I went outside of my usual volunteer activity in the clinic recovery room for PAWS Chicago, and volunteered at the adoption center for their 2nd Annual 36 Hour Adopt-A-Thon.
Sold.
Knowing that I would be taking pictures of dogs/cats going to their forever home made me sign up immediately.
So off I went, not armed with my camera because they provided one, and ready to help.
It was great seeing so many people wanting and taking some the cute, little peanuts home. I was taking pictures immediately, and seeing the excitement in family's eyes was so precious, taking their first family photo by the holiday tree. The cutest story was watching this little girl show everyone her letter from Santa, saying she had two kittens to pick out for a Christmas gift! Adorable!
I will say that I saw some frustration and sadness too. There is a lengthy adoption counseling session that has to happen first, and many different families were wanting the same dog, so some people left emptyhanded. I hope they come back to try and adopt again.
But overall, 49 pets were adopted after 8 hours and that is awesome. Even my favorite little ladies from the website got a good home!!!! This morning I got the final tally of 112 homeless animals now have a new home just in time for the Holidays. Yea for Chicago animals!


1 comment:
I think it's so neat you do this and help the animals of Chi-town find homes :-)
Post a Comment